EDIT Platform for Cybertaxonomy
The EDIT Platform for Cybertaxonomy is a collection of tools and services which together cover all aspects of the taxonomic workflow. The workflow is grouped into the following areas: taxonomic editing; publishing of edited data; data storage and exchange; collections and specimens; descriptions; fieldwork; literature; and geography. At the heart of the Cybertaxonomy platform is the Common Data Model (CDM), a repository for every conceivable type of data produced by taxonomists in the course of their work, and the backend for most EDIT components.
The EDIT Platform Cybergate(pictured) offers a good overview of the Cybertaxonomy platform. It is a visual tool for showing how data is exchanged between the various components, and thus for plotting out individual taxonomic workflows within the Cybertaxonomy platform.
The main Cybertaxonomy platform components - with links to more information - are listed below. Most links are to the developers' wiki, which contains mainly technical information and is of special interest if your institution is considering implementation.
- Desktop Taxonomic Editor: technical info | user guide | download
- Data Portal Software: technical info | A Reference on projects using the EDIT DataPortal
- CDM Java Library: technical info
- Specimen Search Portal: technical info | download | example
- Geo Tools: technical info | download
- ViTaL: technical info
- Descriptive tools: Integration of descriptive data - User manual
- Single Sign-On: technical info
FAQ: Getting Started With the Cybertaxonomy platform is a good place for both taxonomists and technologists to begin familiarizing themselves with the Cybertaxonomy platform, with an eye towards implementing individual components in their institution.